Apply for a 2022 HMEF Scholarship
We are very pleased to let you know that 2022 applications for the Harding Miller Education Foundation (HMEF) Scholarship program are open. School Stream is passionate about supporting schools, so we are thrilled to help spread the word about the HMEF scholarship program. The aim of the scholarship is to lift the educational outcomes and career aspirations of girls who have high academic potential, but could use a helping hand due to challenging socio-economic circumstances. If you have a student who would benefit from some support, read on for eligibility criteria and everything you need to know. Applications close 15 September 2021, so you’ll have to be quick!
Would you like to see how School Stream helps schools all over Australia with their parent communication? Watch a short video to learn more or keep reading for everything you need to know about the life changing scholarships for girls.
The Harding Miller Education Foundation
The Harding Miller Education Foundation (HMEF) is an Australian charity and Public Benevolent Institution. It was established in 2015 by long-term champions of girls and public education: Kim Harding and Irene Miller. The Foundation is committed to supporting disadvantaged girls with academic capabilities to reach their potential by providing a ‘level playing-field’ with students from high socio-economic environments. As of the end of 2019, HMEF has delivered $1M worth of tutoring and homework help, $450K worth of uniforms, textbooks and fees, $11M in technology, as well as delivering 18,932 hours of tutoring through over 30 different tutors across the country. That’s quite the impact!
What does a HMEF scholarship provide?
Scholarship support provides $20,000 over four years to facilitate access to academic resources for the scholarship recipients from Year 9 – 12. It includes a laptop and high-speed internet, funds to cover uniforms, excursions and tutoring, plus career guidance, study skills tools and a coach to guide and mentor the recipient through their secondary school education.
Who is eligible for a HMEF Scholarship?
To be eligible for a HMEF Scholarship, applicants must satisfy the following conditions:
- Be a female student in a public high school
- Be currently a Year 8 student entering Year 9 in 2022
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Have high academic results or potential
- Be currently experiencing low socio-economic circumstances
If you have a student who meets this criteria, please encourage them to apply for a HMEF Scholarship. Applications close 15 September 2021.
Why girls’ education?
In the words of Michelle Obama: “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half its citizens.”
The following statistics from the Harding Miller website show what that looks like in Australian context:
- Harnessing the potential of women would increase the Australian GDP by 11%. (Source: Goldman Sachs)
- The estimated pay gap between men and women currently costs the Australian economy $93 billion every year.
- Women in Australia are two and a half times more likely than men to live in poverty in their old age.
- Girls will earn up to 25% more income for each year of additional education.
- Women work 66% of the world’s working hours yet earn only 10% of the world’s income.
- On average women reinvest 90% of their wages into the family, while men reinvest 30-40%.
We wish all the applicants the very best of luck!
For more information, watch a short video explaining the application process and visit the Harding Miller Education Foundation website for more.
Are you ready to talk about school communication? Let’s get started.